New MSL Laboratories
Check this page regularly for progress updates on our laboratory moves.
What is Happening
On 17th October 2018 the first sod was turned in what would be a significant investment in the provision of national measurement standards to New Zealand with the construction of a new purpose-built laboratory to house Temperature and Electrical Measurement Standards. Time Standards will also be moving into a new laboratory in an existing building onsite at Gracefield. All of these functions will be moving out of their current laboratories in the McKay Building, Gracefield, which was constructed during World War II and is planned to be demolished as part of the Gracefield Innovation Quarter redevelopment programme.
The new laboratories will be completed this year. Before we start moving equipment into the new building, we need to gather environmental information for a period of 6 weeks. Therefore, we expect to start moving equipment into the new building from June 2020.
Impact for our Customers
- We anticipate commercial services for temperature will be closed from August to November 2020.
- The move of electrical equipment will be staged and there will be some disruption to commercial services between August 2020 and June 2021.
- The new Time laboratory will be completed around September 2020 and the move of Time Standards will commence after environmental performance of the new lab has been completed. We currently expect calibration services to be affected from April 2021 to June 2021.
- We will be in touch with affected customers closer to the time with specific details, but be prepared to expect some disruption to the services we deliver particularly around the second half of 2020.
- If you have any critical services needing to be completed during this period, please get in touch with us now so we can plan this around the disruption.
- This page will be used to highlight impacts to services during this period.
Official Opening Event
Originally planned for 20 May 2020, the official opening of the new building has been postponed to a later date. We will advertise this as soon as a new date has been determined.
Construction time-lapse video
The construction of this building has spanned 18months and while the exterior is quite simple but slick in design, the interior is where significant design aspects provide a complex and technologically advanced laboratory. Check out the video on our You Tube Channel(external link) to see how the building took shape from day one.