Areas of expertise
- Contact and radiation thermometry
- Thermometer calibration
- Mechanical and electrical design, servicing and construction
- Calibration bath design and construction
- Furnace design and construction
- B. Engineering, Mechanical (Hons) 1997
Hamish has been active in thermometry for 20 years, taking on a variety of tasks based around his role of carrying out practical work in the Temperature Standards laboratory. His key responsibilities are maintenance of existing equipment, development of new equipment, and carrying out commercial work, such as measurements and thermometer calibrations.
Scientific highlights for Hamish include development of portable instruments for measuring long-wavelength infrared reflection and absorbing properties of surfaces, a thermometer probe rack system that automatically compensates for changes in working fluid height due to thermal expansion, work on a 4-axis gonioreflectometer instrument, and carrying out the practical design of a compact, automatic device used to calibrate resistance bridges.
Hamish is a first port of call for general enquiries concerning thermometer purchase, use, and calibration in New Zealand.
• P Saunders, D R White, H Edgar, “A compact combinatorial device for measurement of non-linearity of radiation thermometers”, submitted to International Journal of Thermophysics.
• E S Webster, D R White, H Edgar, “Measurement of inhomogeneities in thermocouples using a linear-gradient furnace and dual heat-pipe scanner”, submitted to International Journal of Thermophysics.
• D R White, H Edgar, B E McLennan, P Saunders, “Automation of the resistance bridge calibrator”, in Temperature: Its Measurement and Control in Science and Industry, Vol. 8, edited by C. W. Meyer, AIP Conference Proceedings, Melville, New York, 392–397, 2013.
• P Saunders, H Edgar, “On the characterisation and correction of the size-of-source effect in radiation thermometers”, Metrologia, 46, 62–74, 2009.
• D R White, P Saunders, H Edgar, “On the utility of laser pyrometers for measuring reformer tube-skin temperatures”, in Proceedings of TEMPMEKO 2004, 9th International Symposium on Temperature and Thermal Measurements in Industry and Science, edited by D Zvizdic, LPM/FSB, Zagreb, 1249–1254, 2005.
• P Saunders, A B Trotter, H Edgar, D M J Cochrane, “In situ measurement of catalyst tube emissivity by means of a portable solid integrating sphere reflectometer”, Measurement Science and Technology, 12, 622–626, 2001.
• P Saunders, H Edgar, “Size-of-source effect correction for a thermal imaging radiation thermometer”, High Temperatures – High Pressures, 31, 283–292, 1999.
• D R White, P Saunders, S J Bonsey, J van de Ven, H Edgar, “Reflectometer for measuring the bidirectional reflectance of rough surfaces”, Applied Optics, 37, 3450–3454, 1998.