Areas of expertise
• Length and dimensional metrology
• Co-ordinate Measuring Machine error mapping
• Uncertainty in dimensional measurement
• Measurement automation
Master of Science (Physics) with first class honours, 1991, University of Canterbury
Eleanor has been working as a research scientist at the Measurement Standards Laboratory of New Zealand since 1991. Her research interests include iodine-stabilised lasers, laser interferometers for measuring gauge blocks and line scales and coordinate measuring machines. She also works with KiwiStar Optics developing methods for the metrology and alignment of large optics.
Eleanor has strong links within both the national and international metrology communities through her involvement in the Metrology Society of Australasia, IANZ (technical expert for 15 years) and APMP (Asia Pacific Metrology Programme).
Between 2016 and 2021 Eleanor was the Chief Metrologist for MSL.
• Member of the APMP Technical Committee on Length (TCL)
• Awarded Foreign Researcher Invitation Program Scholarship to attend a two-week workshop at AIST in Japan (1999)
• Member of the Program Committee for SPIE conferences "Recent Developments in Traceable Dimensional Metrology I, II and III." (2001, 2003, 2005)
• Member of the CMM Users Group of the Metrology Society of Australia
• Technical Expert for International Accreditation New Zealand in the field of Metrology and Calibration
• CMC reviewer for the APMP TCL in 13 classes
• Technical Peer assessor in Length for KIM-LIPI Indonesia (2006)
• APMP TCL Reviewer NPLI India (2010)
• Technical Peer assessor in Length for NMIA Australia (2012)
• Chair of the IANZ Measurement and Calibration Professional Advisory Committee (2016-)
• Member of the IANZ Accreditation Advisory Committee (2016-)
• Chin, J.-H., Takatsuji, T., Horita, M., Hamakawa, T., Chaudhary, K. P., Anusorn Tonmueanwai, Alfiyati, N., Kruger, O., Howick, E., Cox, P., Sawi, M. bin, Thu, B. Q., Kim, J.-A., Yin, W. S., Leng, T. S. & Zaher, S. A. Final report on key comparison APMP.L-K4: Calibration of diameter standards. Metrologia 51, 04004 (2014).
• Takatsuji, T., Eom, T., Tonmueanwai, A., Yin, R., Walt, F. van der, Gao, S., Thu, B. Q., Singhal, R. P., Howick, E., Doytchinov, K., Oliveira, J. C. V. de, Antti Lassila, O’Donnell, J. & Balsamo, A. Final report on APMP regional key comparison APMP.L-K6: Calibration of ball plate and hole plate. Metrologia 51 (2014).
• Eom, T., Sitian, G., Wong, S.Y., Chaudhary, K.P., Drijarkara, A.P., Howick, E., Tonmeanwai, A., Pan, S.-P., Takatsuji, T., Cox, P., Thalmann, R., Alves, J.A.P., Stoup, J., 2012. Final report on APMP Regional Comparison APMP.L-K5: Calibration of step gauge. Metrologia 49, 04007.
• Matus, M., Balling, P., Kren, P., Masika, P., Hong, F.-L., Ishikawa, J., Inaba, H., Hosaka, K., Yasuda, M., Akamatsu, D., Onae,A., Shi,R.H., Peng,J.L., Howick,E., et.al. 2011. The CCL-K11 ongoing key comparison: final report for the year 2010. Metrologia 48
• Hirai, A., Chaudhary, K.P., Dahlan, A.M.B., Howick, E., Lan, Y.-P., Tonmueanwai, A., Thu, B.Q., 2009. Final report on APMP.L-K1.1: Calibration of gauge blocks by interferometry. Metrologia 46
• Howick, E.F.; Cochrane, D.M.J.; Meier, D. 2007. Using a co-ordinate measuring machine to align multiple element large optical systems. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. Vol.6676
• Howick, E.F.; Watkins, L.R.; Tan, S.M. 2003. Automation of a 1960's Hilger gauge block interferometer. Metrologia. Vol.40 (4), p.139-145.
• Howick, E.F. 2003. An investigation into applying self-calibration techniques to measuring large optical components on a CMM. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. Vol.5190 , p.232-241.
• Adams, J.; Langhorne, P.; Howick, E.F.; Haines, E.M. 2002. Women in Physical Science in New Zealand. AIP conference proceedings. Vol.628 p.199-200.
• Howick, E.F.; Sutton, C.M.. 2001. Development of an automated line scale measuring instrument. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. Vol.4401, 112-119.